Volkswagen I.D. Concept Previews Autonomous Features Slated for 2025

Volkswagen revealed its I.D. electric car Wednesday ahead of the Paris auto show, and now the brand has dropped full details on the electric hatch along with more on its plans for future mobility, including autonomous driving. Volkswagen says the debut is as significant to the automotive landscape as the original Beetle and Golf models, and has coined the tagline “Think New” to underscore its importance to the company.

As we previously reported, the I.D. achieves between 249 and 373 miles per charge, based on the New European Driving Cycle. A flat lithium-ion battery pack sandwiched in the floor provides juice to the rear-mounted electric motor, which is rated 168 hp and can bring the concept to 62 mph in less than 8 seconds and on to its top speed of 99 mph. The Volkswagen I.D. rides on the automaker’s MEB modular electric architecture, which can be scaled to fit a number of body styles including the BUDD-E microbus that debuted the platform.

Volkswagen I D Concept front three quarter lights

Volkswagen I D Concept interior view Volkswagen I D Concept steering wheel Volkswagen I D Concept front view Volkswagen I D Concept front three quarters

But perhaps more important than the electric car tech, the I.D. gives us a glimpse at what to expect from Volkswagen in terms of its autonomous technologies and car-sharing strategy. When the production I.D. arrives in 2020, it will be an attainable electric car with a practical driving range, much like the Chevrolet Bolt is now. But the concept looks ahead of that with its I.D. Pilot mode, a fully autonomous feature that VW says should be ready by 2025. This function is activated through a button on the steering wheel, which retracts and disappears when in autonomous mode. The in-floor battery pack and rear-mounted electric motor already free up space inside the cabin, but the stowing of the steering wheel contributes to a more lounge-like cabin.

At a preview event for media ahead of the Paris auto show, Volkswagen Group CEO Matthias Müller drove home how important “urban mobility,” which encompasses autonomous driving, will be to the company going forward. The executive painted a future where many young people living in urban areas give up owning cars. But even if they’re not car owners, they can still be Volkswagen customers, he said. To this end, Volkswagen is investing heavily in a new urban mobility division, which will become VW Group’s 13th brand. One of the division’s first jobs is working with ridesharing partner Gett to develop an autonomous taxi service. GM has hooked up with Lyft and Ford with Uber to develop similar programs. Referring to that challenge and others outlined in Volkswagen’s “Strategy 2025” plan, Müller says, “the transformation that lies ahead is a gigantic step.” Such a transformation is necessary, however, both with the apparently imminent autonomous future and with VW’s tarnished reputation when it comes to internal combustion engines. The I.D. will be one of many smaller steps that VW likely hopes will begin to put dieselgate behind it.

Source: Volkswagen

Volkswagen I D Concept top view 02 Volkswagen I D Concept top interior view Volkswagen I D Concept side Volkswagen I D Concept side profile 1 Volkswagen I D Concept scan Volkswagen I D Concept rear three quarters 1 Volkswagen I D Concept rear three quarters 02 Volkswagen I D Concept rear three quarter in motion Volkswagen I D Concept front three quarter in motion Volkswagen I D Concept front three quarter in motion 02 Volkswagen I D Concept front three quarter charging pads Volkswagen I D Concept front side Volkswagen I D Concept front side profile Volkswagen I D Concept front end 1 Volkswagen I D Concept front end lights Volkswagen I D Concept front end 03 Volkswagen I D Concept center stack Volkswagen I D Concept battery 06 Volkswagen I D Concept battery 05 Volkswagen I D Concept battery 04 Volkswagen I D Concept battery 03 Volkswagen I D Concept battery 02 Volkswagen I D Concept battery 01 Volkswagen I D Concept app Volkswagen I D Concept top view Volkswagen I D Concept side profile Volkswagen I D Concept rear three quarters Volkswagen I D Concept rear three quarter Volkswagen I D Concept front three quarter Volkswagen I D Concept front end

The post Volkswagen I.D. Concept Previews Autonomous Features Slated for 2025 appeared first on Motor Trend.



from Motor Trend http://ift.tt/2cXzNxh

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire